Friday, November 26, 2010

Therapy

I am a therapist. When I am not with my children, writing, reading or socializing I see clients. Most of the clients that I see have suffered a severe trauma. By me listening to them empathically, I mean being there with them emotionally, while providing them with the support, understanding, not fearing to follow them to their pain and dark places, they are able to free themselves for a while from the experiences that marooned them in terror, shame, gilt and regret. After this they naturally express what they must do to heal them selves and what is in them and in their environment that they believe is hindering them. The following sessions I support them in following through with what they know is best for them as they continue to tell their account. If a client is really motivated to help themselves, the sessions take on a life of its own. I then assist the client in recognizing and appreciating resources, strengths and abilities that they might have not appreciated or known that they possess. From here they help them selves, and the hindrances fade. They try to give me the credit but I let them see that from my depths I reflected them back to them selves. Such appreciation is liberating, emboldens and centers people, coping is a secondary process that naturally comes when one engages life more deeply and profoundly.

No comments: